Friday, June 27, 2008

Have you tried this tool?

When I first started making yoyos, I didn't really have a tool to use to make them. I traced out a circle on cardboard (because it was sturdy) and then would trace all my circles out on the back the fabric and then cut them all out, one at a time. It was very time consuming and I thought "Man, there has got to be a quicker and easier way to do this. Well there is! It is from a company called "Clover". It is so easy to use. For those who have not used one, yo u put the fabric in the one that looks like a doghnut and then click the solid one inside . You turn it over and then trim around the circle and then pop the solid piece out. I actually use the larger one that is orange in color. They are such a lifesaver.
Like I mentioned before, I use clothes that my girls and I had worn at one time or another. Above is a dress that my parents bought my oldest DD when she was about 4 or so. When my next daughter was old enough, I let her wear it awhile. As I was going through my bag of clothes to cut up in yoyos, I came across this sweet dress and was almost in tears at the thought of cutting it. It now is on a hanger and I will give it to one of them when they have children. I am such a sentimental fool!

That's a good thing, right?? :)

Have a good weekend everyone!!

1 comment:

oliveoyl64 said...

I found you through Monkeybox(Shara).

My mother has an antique yo-yo quilt that will be MINE some day.

I will be looking for that tool. The one thing holding me back from making one of my own IS the cutting, so that might make it easier. I guess you could use a rotary cutter too.

Looking foward to more posts.